Vile memes paying homage to mass murderers and racist propaganda: A look inside the chilling last Facebook posts of Christchurch gunman
- Brenton Tarrant posted a series of disturbing images on his Facebook account
- Included picture of the Noor mosque he attacked just two days before massacre
- The findings sparked new questions around why gunman wasn’t on watchlist
The Australian gunman accused of killing 50 people during the Christchurch terror attack regularly posted vile memes about mass murderers and racist propaganda.
Brenton Tarrant’s Facebook feed was lined with a series of dark and violent images in the days leading up to the March 15 massacre.
In a disturbing twist, Tarrant uploaded a photo of the Noore mosque in Christchurch two days before he allegedly stormed the building armed with an assault rifle.
The 28-year-old’s social media accounts were shut down after the live-streamed attack, but Daily Mail Australia has accessed a partial cache of his Facebook page.
Brenton Tarrant’s (pictured) Facebook feed was lined with a series of dark and violent images in the days leading up to the March 15 massacre
The image of the mosque, which was uploaded early on March 13, is photoshopped onto the head of a man being choked by a person dressed as a medieval knight.
Two other versions of the disturbing collage were uploaded to his Facebook.
Tarrant also used a popular meme of rapper Drake disapproving and approving by comparing a photo of Noor mosque and the Victoria Islamic Centre in Texas burning down.
Other images include pictures of Anders Breivik, a ‘fascist’ who killed 77 people in Norway in 2011, and Timothy McVeigh, who killed 168 people in the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.
Included in the disturbing images was a picture of the Noor mosque (pictured) – two days before he gunned down and killed 50 people inside the place of worship
A founding member of the Noor mosque, Professor Hanif Quazi said he found it ‘puzzling’ that the posts didn’t trigger any warnings.
‘It’s quite surprising that something like that has happened and nobody has seen it,’ Professer Quazi told ABC News.
‘In a population of 4 million people, nobody saw such nasty things happening. It’s a bit strange.’
‘I think we were caught unaware — all of us, including police. We were more concerned for the behaviour of extremist Muslims. This is something that escaped.’
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden is believed to be considering launching a Royal Commission into the massacre.
The commission will focus on whether Tarrant, given his history on social media, should have been on intelligence watchlists.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden is believed to be considering the terms of reference for a Royal Commission into the massacre
It was revealed this week that the gunman had made a significant charity contribution to an Austrian white nationalist group last year.
He also had deep ties to online far-right groups and frequented white supremacist chat rooms on the dark web.
New Zealand police declined to say when the Facebook posts depicting the Noor mosque had been brought to their attention.
Tarrant’s social media pages were deleted swiftly following the attack on March 15.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.