Despite widespread controversies in the fallout of the Cambridge Analytica data scandal, most users are still on Facebook, and many haven’t taken advantage of new privacy tools.
In the months since the Cambridge Analytica data scandal, Americans have begun to understand the bargain they made with the internet a decade ago without realizing it. Free online services, social platforms
Facebook is still getting plenty of heat in Congress as regulations loom. Under that public spotlight, the company has rolled out a number of new privacy tools to give users more control over their data. Overall Facebook usage continues to decline, but according to new data from
Pew surveyed 4,594 respondents from May through June of this year and found that more than half of Facebook users in the United States have changed their privacy settings in the past 12 months. The other 46 percent have not taken advantage of the various settings and tools to make their Facebook activity more private. While 42 percent of users have also taken a break from the platform for three weeks or more, the other 58 percent have not adjusted their usage patterns.
At the height of the scandal earlier this year, there was a swell in Facebook users deleting the app. As the Pew survey finds, only 26 percent of users took that drastic step and extricated themselves from the platform.
Those stats get more interesting when broken down by age group: 44 percent of users ages 18 to 29 said they’ve deleted the Facebook app from their phone in the past year; and 65 percent adjusted their privacy settings, compared with only a third of users ages 65 and older who’ve adjusted settings. And only 12 percent of that older age group deleted the app.
One of the most comprehensive tools Facebook has made available recently is the ability to download your Facebook data and see exactly what the site has collected on you. Only 9 percent of respondents have taken that step, but those Facebook users are the most privacy-conscious minority. Of that small percentage, 79 percent have adjusted their privacy settings and 47 percent have deleted the app.